Monday 29 April 2013

my take on a Bahamian dish

Food is a large part of life in our church.  Every care group meeting begins with a meal together, provided by the care group members.  Truthfully, there are times when this burdens me because my cooking is SO American and doesn't always get the rave reviews here that it might get back in the U.S. (I'm being sarcastic here...).  But one recipe that I found a few months ago on a blog I follow (by a Texan mom living in Massachusetts of all places) is Coconut Crockpot Chicken Curry.  It is tasty, and I've served it twice now to out Bahamian friends here with much success.  I thought I'd share it with you!  www.glutenfreekrums.blogspot.com is the origin for this.

Coconut Crockpot Chicken Curry

4-6 chicken breasts (I use skinless, boneless) cooked and diced
4-6 red potatoes (I peel mine due to texture issues)
4-6 carrots diced
1/2 to 1 whole onion (I never use more than a 1/2) diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp. salt
1/1 to 1 tsp. pepper
6 tsp. yellow curry
2 cans of coconut milk

Directions: bake chicken for 30 min. at 350 degrees...in the meantime, prepare all the veggies.
When chicken is cooked, dice and add ingredients to crockpot.  Cook on low 5-6 hours or on high for 3. (I always do the former).
Serve over hot cooked rice (Good with Basmati or Jasmine rice)

Enjoy!  It's easy, healthy, and Bahamian-approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment